How to Grill
- Go kabob-ing! For easy finger appetizers, thread cocktail franks on skewers with chunks of pineapple and green or red pepper, then brush with a sweet-and-sour sauce. For casual dining (and a "meal on a stick"), lace 1-inch slices of beef knockwurst or slices of deli meat on skewers with mushrooms, new potatoes, bell pepper, and onion, then brush with barbecue sauce. Grill over medium heat for about 15 minutes, turning often.
Layer the flavor—on raw meat, poultry, and fish—with flavorful rubs and marinades.
- If time is short... before grilling, rub the surface with a homemade or store-bought mixture of dry herbs or spices and a little oil or mustard.
- If you have time... marinate in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight to tenderize meat and add flavor; shorten the marinating time for some tender meat cuts and delicate fish. Figure 1/2 to 1 cup of marinade per pound. A safety "must": discard marinade used for raw food; never brush it on cooked meat, poultry, or fish.
- Grill the "sides"—veggies of all kinds—along with your meat. Besides the convenience (fewer trips to the kitchen), grilling gives vegetables a smoky, fragrant flavor. Try carrots, eggplants, squash, bell pepper, sweet potato, leeks, and more. Simply slice and brush with olive oil, sprinkle on some herbs if you'd like, then grill (turning once) over a hot fire until they're tender-crisp. Hint: Toast or warm bread or firm polenta (brushed olive oil with garlic or herbs) on the grill, too!
- Ever wonder if you could grill a deli meat sandwich or a pizza? You can! For sandwiches, simply grill over medium heat on both sides. For pizza or open-face sandwiches, cook with the grill cover on so the top gets cooked, too. Tip: Thinly sliced hot dogs make a convenient topping for these quick-and-easy grilled pizzas.
- Turn grilling into a fun, hand-held meal for the kids! Skewer a whole beef frank (regular or cocktail size) end to end the long way, right through the center, then grill. Use sturdy wooden skewers that kids can hold in hand once their frank is grilled.